Click to Home
Go To Search
Planning Building and Code Enforcement
San Jose Home
Development Services Permit Center
Man helping customers at a counterThe Permit Center provides no-cost advice on what your project needs—just call or visit us and we'll gladly help you.  

Planning, Building, Public Works and the Fire Prevention Bureau are the four City divisions that assist with permits and plan review, as follows:

Planning Services
Planning permits are typically needed for projects that change the use of a site; the use or exterior of a building; or that affect a community's character or resources. City planners help ensure that your project complies with zoning codes, development standards, and other regulations. Learn more at

Building Services
From kitchen remodels to opening a café to constructing a high rise, our building staff are engineers and experts who review your plans and inspect projects to ensure they meet building codes. Learn more at

Public Works Services
Public Works permits are needed for construction that affects streets, sidewalks, storm and sanitary sewers, streetlights, traffic signals, and more. Services include grading permits, utility permits, providing information about flood and geologic hazards, transportation analysis, etc. Learn more at

Fire Prevention/Hazardous Materials Services
New construction, projects that affect the emergency access of a site, proposed uses that entail hazardous materials, or a project or use that entails any Life Safety issue, must be reviewed for code compliance by a fire protection engineer or hazardous materials inspector. Learn more at


Building Permits and Home Safety Open House May 30 Event FlyerBuilding Permits & Home Safety Open House

May 30, 2019, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
San José City Hall
200 E. Santa Clara St.
See the flyer for details.

Come talk with our permit, plan review, and inspection experts. Bring your ideas or plans. Find out if you live in a flood zone, and pick up emergency preparedness information.

6:30 PM - Permits for Granny Flats: What You Need to Know
Are you considering building a granny flat, also called an accessory dwelling unit? This presentation covers the siting and permitting requirements in San José.

7:15 PM - Energy-Saving Home Improvements
Solar systems, electric vehicle charging stations, and new systems for water heating and home battery backup are now popular home improvement projects. Come learn how to pass inspection by avoiding common mistakes.

Validated parking is offered. We look forward to seeing you there!

Energy and Water Building Performance Ordinance is in Effect

For commercial and multifamily buildings that are 50,000 square feet and over, May 1, 2019 is the first reporting deadline for the new Energy and Water Building Performance Ordinance. Learn more about the Energy and Water Building Performance Ordinance, its requirements, education and resources for compliance.

Food Preparation Businesses in Homes and Commercial Spaces VideoNew Video Guides Food Preparation Businesses Through Permit Process
Walk alongside an entrepreneur who specializes in coffee roasting as he learns about registering the business, filling out the proper forms, and considerations such as zoning, parking and accessibility compliance. Find the video on the San José Permit Center YouTube channel.

ADU (Granny Units) – Requirements in San José
As of July 2018, more properties now qualify for an ADU and the related development standards have been eased. Learn more at

Visit the Permit Center
See our Hours of Service. Validated parking is available: From 6th Street, enter the parking garage under the City Hall Tower. Bring your stub with you for validation.
View map.